Coming of Age

Home / Coming of Age

Are you turning 18 or a young adult and wondering what to do next?

The disAbility Law Center of Virginia (dLCV) invites you to explore your options as adults!

Helpful Coming of Age Links

Advance Directives

Community Services Boards

  • Find your Community Service Board (CSB) – You can this directory to find the CSB for your locality.
  • 2-1-1  Virginia’s community services helpline.  2-1-1 VIRGINIA provides access to services in your community and statewide. All referrals are confidential and you can search for these same services on this 2-1-1 VIRGINIA Web site.  You may reach them by dialing 211 from any phone.


I am Thinking about Going to College!

General Information about Education after High School

Information for Students with Disabilities

  • Wilson Workforce and Rehabilitation Center (WWRC) provides training for people with disabilities to assist them in obtaining employment and to live more independently. They have two programs, Pre-employment Readiness and Education Program (PREP) and Postsecondary Education Rehabilitation Transition (PERT), specifically for students transitioning from high school.
  • Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind & Vision Impaired (VRCBVI) collaborates with the University of Richmond to provide a two-week course called STEPS to Success (Strategies & Techniques for Enhancing Performance & Skills). This program introduces valuable skills, techniques, and strategies to help maximize success in preparing for college or a career.
  • George Mason University Learning into Future Environments (LIFE) program that offers a supportive academic university experience for individuals with ID and DD seeking a four-year curriculum.
  • Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) ACE-IT in College program, an inclusive, on-campus college experience for young adults with intellectual disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, or autism.
  • Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) partners with the national organization College Steps to provide individualized college support for students with social, communication, or learning challenges.
  • J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College offers a two-year vocational training program called Program for Adults in Vocational Education (PAVE).
  • United Methodist Family Services offers a program called Courage to Succeed. This program is specifically for individuals with autism and other neurological differences, including learning disabilities, ADHD and traumatic brain injury.

Introduction to Assistive Technology for Adults

Tips for Youth Turning 18 and Their Parents

  • Apply for Medicaid at your local Department of Social Services office. Medicaid is a program, funded by federal and state government, which pays for medical care for those who can’t afford it. Eligibility for SSI usually qualifies you for Medicaid, but applications for both must be completed.
  • Apply for the appropriate Medicaid Waiver to get your name on the waiting list. Virginia has several Medicaid Waivers that provide services and supports to assist individuals with disabilities with their needs in the community. Each Waiver has a specific process for entering the system, eligibility, and the variety of services available. Individuals can be on one waiting list while receiving services from another waiver. Some waiting lists are very long so it is best to apply as soon as possible.
  • Set up an ABLEnow account. This allows you to save and invest excess money over the resource limit for programs like SSI, Medicaid, or SNAP benefits. The account will not affect your eligibility for these programs. In fact, you can place up to $100,000 in the account without it counting as a resource for SSI. Medicaid has no limit on the account. To qualify for an ABLEnow account your disability must have begun before the age of 26.
  • Discuss your family’s current estate plan to determine if changes need to be made to protect benefits. If you believe that you will require Medicaid, SSI, or other governmental subsidies, discuss a Special Needs Trust (SNT). A SNT allows you to plan for your financial future and prevent being disqualified for benefits due to having too much money or property. Ask other family members if their estate plans include the possibility of you receiving any money or property. Financial gifts from well-meaning family members, upon their death or before, can jeopardize your eligibility for necessary governmental benefits. Further information about Special Needs Trusts can be found at The Commonwealth Community Trust’s or The Arc of Northern Virginia’s website.

Great Public Resources to Help with Your Transition……

Great Websites to Help with Your Transition and Beyond