Assisted Living Facilities

Home / Assisted Living Facilities

This section provides information about rights and resources for individuals residing in an assisted living facility (ALF) that is licensed by the Department of Social Services (DSS).

COVID-19: Updates for the Community

This video discusses the current nationwide emergency and its impact on the community we serve. Despite continued challenges, the staff at the disAbility Law Center of Virginia will continue providing advocacy and support to people with disabilities.

If you know about a situation that is unfolding or a rights violation going on in a facility, please call us at 800-552-3962 (Toll-Free).


Fact Sheets

Complaint Processes

If you or someone you care about has been abused, neglected, or exploited, contact Adult Protective Services at 1-888-832-3858 or Child Protective Services at 1-800-552-7096 regardless of the setting in which the abuse, neglect, or exploitation occurred.  If you or someone you support is in immediate danger, call 911.

Department of Social Services (DSS)

The Department of Social Services licenses ALFs and, if you have a concern or complaint, you can make a complaint to the Division of Licensing Programs using the on-line complaint form.

Virginia Office of State Long-Term Care Ombudsman

A long-term care ombudsman is an official who works for the State and investigates complaints from older individuals at long-term care facilities or assisted living facilities against a facility.  Each nursing home has an ombudsman assigned to it and their contact information should be posted in a visible location.  The ombudsman also helps with appeals to discharge notices.

Find the ombudsman for your facility and their contact information.  You can also call the Office at (804) 565-1600 or (800) 552-3402.

Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MFCU)

The Office of the Attorney General has a unit to investigate concerns about Medicaid fraud.  To report Medicaid Fraud, you can contact MFCU at (804) 371-0779 or (800) 371-0824 or email

Department of Health Professions (DHP)

The Department of Health Professions licenses and regulates health professionals and investigates complaints against health professionals.  There are 13 Boards that oversee health professions: medicine, nursing, long-term care administrators, social work, physical therapy, etc.

If you have a complaint or concern against a doctor, nurse, social worker or any other licensed health professional, you can submit a complaint to DHP or call them at (804) 367-4691 or (800) 533-1560.


Constipation & Bowel Obstruction // Advocate For Your Rights

Learn more about constipation… The most common cause of preventable deaths in the community setting.